Facts and Figures
We design, source and import the highest quality electric lighters and sell them through multiple B2B and B2C channels under our unique ZEUS Lighters brand.
Current B2B channels are in Australia and Singapore and include tobacco, giftware and tech accessories distributors, franchise head offices, and direct-to-store sales. These account for ~98% of our current sales. We sold 150 lighters in December at a ~110% delivered gross margin.
B2C marketing channels are Instagram (1,115 followers), Facebook (218 followers), and Organic Search 158 visitors/month), however, our B2C channels have not been updated since January 2018. We sell ~3 lighters/month online at a ~140% delivered gross margin. Our website is a Wix site.
We currently focus on selling electric cigarette lighters, however, our existing supply factories have the capability to produce custom-designed BBQ, in-home and camping lighters.
p.s. electric lighters are also known as USB/arc/plasma lighters.
How does your business make money?
We sell electronic cigarette lighters both directly to consumers and to retailers (i.e. B2C and B2B channels).
Our landed unit price is ~A$10 (fluctuates with exchange rates). Our wholesale price is ~A$20 and RRP is A$50.
(In $US these prices are ~$7, ~$14 and ~$35 respectively).
Currently we handle stock, however, my intuition is that an experienced drop-shipper would be able to adjust our supply chain to make drop-shipping feasible for both retail and business order fulfilment.
Why should someone buy this business?
ZEUS' mission is to extinguish gas lighters. It's a mission that resonates with today's consumer and that we've shown makes money.
- Strong gross margins (B2B ~110%, B2C ~140%)
- High-end brand image with established branding kit and social media profiles
- Demonstrated customer demand for its core product
- Enormous growth potential for new products and new markets
We are interested in selling ZEUS as since the three of us co-founders graduated from university 12 months ago, we haven't been able to spare ZEUS the time and energy it needs to flourish and fulfill its potential.
We are happy to provide ongoing assistance in the immediate-term (as advisers) or in the short-to-medium term (as minor shareholders) to help ensure the new owner succeeds when they takeover.
How can the future owner improve this business?
ZEUS has significant growth potential. The following are the growth priorities of the business as I see them:
Short-term (next 12 months):
- Increase colour range of the core cigarette lighter styles (5max)
- Add additional cigarette lighter styles (2max)
- Establish drop-shipping capability
- Improve web store and online customer acquisition funnel (consider migrating to Shopify)
- Target co-branded music festival lighters
- Grow local B2B distribution channels (of new owner)
Medium-term (12 - 36 months):
- Establish high-quality content-marketing strategy
- Expand into other gas lighter verticals
- Sell 'globally'
Our ideal buyer is someone who has experience building a successful online drop-shipping website (B2C) and has relationships with potential distributors for electric cigarette, BBQ, in-home and/or camping lighters (B2B).
Both of these sales strategies is profitable, and expertise in either will enable the business to establish itself and grow further.
- High Profit Margins
- Low Return Rate
- Positive Customer Reviews
- Scalable Business Model
- Strong Manufacturing Relationships
Opportunities for a new owner
- Launch New Products
- Start Selling into New Markets
- Advance or Explore Retail / Distribution Partnerships
Key day-to-day operations
- Customer Support / Service
- Supplier Relationship Management
- Order Fulfilment
- Product Sourcing and Design
- Product photography
- Instagram Advertising
- Word of Mouth
- All Site Content and file
- Customer Database
- Partnerships and Enterprise Sales Agreements
Post sale support
This is support provided by the seller when transitioning the business to a buyer.
About the Seller
Hi, I'm Kurt. I co-founded ZEUS Lighters with my two mates Benjamin McCoy and Reuben Gan while we were studying together in late 2016.
I have a BEng (Hons) and BCom from UNSW Sydney, Australia. I'm also about to be a published, peer-reviewed author in the Energy Management Research Journal.
After graduating in 2017 we tried to continue to grow ZEUS, but we haven't been able to make the time and so have decided to try and pass it onto someone who can.
Words I'd call myself: a son, brother and mate; a financial independence and renewable energy evangelist; a country bumpkin in disguise.